December 1st will soon be upon us, and one of the most special things to do is celebrate Advent! Here are 25 ideas of activities you can do, one for each day of December leading up to Christmas. You can switch around the order, of course, and add your own.
- Put up your Christmas decorations
- Go to the library and pick out some new Christmas books
- Watch a Christmas movie together
- Go for a walk or ride to see Christmas lights
- View a production of The Nutcracker
- Have a hot cocoa or tea party after school
- Pick out a poinsettia plant and use it to make your home feel like Christmas
- Read the Nativity story from the Bible and act it out. Record it!
- Make a craft from candy canes – search for one on Pinterest!
- Build a real or pretend snowman
- Bake Christmas cookies
- Take Christmas cookies to your neighbors
- Collect some canned food to donate to a homeless shelter
- Read an extra special Christmas book with the lights off and candles burning
- Make dried orange slices and use them to decorate
- Make a peanut butter and birdseed bird feeder out of a pine cone and hang it outside
- Have a real or pretend snowball fight
- Make a homemade Christmas present for someone in your family
- Sing Christmas carols!
- Make cinnamon and applesauce dough ornaments
- Draw a picture of your favorite Christmas memory
- Make a garland of popcorn and cranberries
- Decorate a gingerbread house
- Hang up Christmas stockings
- Merry Christmas!
If you already have an advent calendar, you can add these activities in by printing out these 25 advent calendar tags (free download here), cutting them out, and writing in the activities! The tags work great for an advent calendar with pockets or clothespins.
If you are looking for a quality advent calendar to add to your family’s Christmas traditions, I have made several quilted advent calendars with Rifle Paper Co fabric that are sure to become a family heirloom. The advent calendars come with printed and cut paper tags on heavy duty cardstock. All you have to do is write in your favorite activities on the cards and stick them in their pockets! The pockets will also hold small treats or toys.
All orders come beautifully packaged in a pinstripe Kraft giftbox, wrapped in white tissue paper with a gold sticker. Now is the perfect time to make an advent calendar your new Christmas tradition!